To succeed in the upcoming year, we want to encourage you to take the time to figure out what most inspires your audience to share content. Figure out the ways in which you can engage your customers to create and share user-generated content. Today, we wanted to offer just a few tips that will help in your planning over the course of this new decade.
Now, when we say User Generated Content, or UGC for short, we’re talking about that free vote of confidence from the people who love what you do. It’s any and all content pumped out by your brand champions - photos, raving reviews, blog posts and videos that tell the world how wonderful they think you and your products are. It’s shareable content posted and offered up, all on their own volition - and who doesn’t love a little free marketing!
But more than just being free, UGC has proven to be the most effective form of content.
User-Generated Content can benefit your brand in ways your own marketing voice cannot.
Today, I’m going to tell you three ways that’s accomplished.
#1 - Build Trust
Firstly, User Generated Content breeds trust because it has that air of honesty minus the sales pitch. It’s just the more human way to go, and well, you know how we feel about humanizing technology...
It crosses age and demographic divides because people just trust it more readily. We’re a visual culture, after all and we find truth in the numbers. Consider these…
- 85% of consumers find User Generated Content to be more persuasive than any other brand content
- 72% of shoppers say they are most influenced by Instagram photos
- YouTube videos of happy customers get 10 times more views than branded videos
- 47% of millennials and 36% of baby boomers trust UGC
- Only 25% of people say they trust branded content
I’d say, this stuff is pretty important.
# 2 - Social Proof
Secondly, User Generated Content helps creates social proof. The fact that prospective clients are able to see real content from other real customers only helps to increase the credibility of your organization’s presence. This also aids in focusing your brand’s promises into perspective.
Because as a brand, you’re making some sort of promise to your audience. So it’s important to take advantage of the online platforms that can help you gain UGC with fans. Why wouldn’t you establish your own social proof, letting curious customers know that you follow through on the promises you make to them.
The folks at Hootsuite agree, “UGC is one of the most powerful tools in today’s marketing arsenal. It’s proof that you have dedicated fans, products worth talking about, and a social network that will appreciate great content.”
#3 - Sharing the Spotlight
Lastly, but certainly not less importantly, UGC puts your current customers front and center, right under the spotlight.
Digital Communication Manager from Visit Franklin, Josh Collins says, “Visuals are one of the biggest keys to success. We are not looking for a transaction between visitors. We want to inspire people to want to visit and ultimately develop a relationship with them.”
It’s a win-win setup for your company as well as your fans, highlighting their voice and their story. When you use their content, you are:
- Allowing their voice to tell your story for you, relieving you of the sometimes uncomfortable feeling that can come with tooting your own horn.
- Achieving necessary marketing messages, but accomplishing that with an individual touch, not by nagging ads or brands.
- Moving from marketing at your audience, to marketing alongside them, strengthening the bond and overall customer experience, which as you know, is important in any business sector.
- Getting an opportunity to return the favor, by sharing the spotlight on people who’ve spotlighted your brand as well.
As Think Native, we’re all about helping equip you with the tools necessary to achieve your greatest impact! Let's take your UGC to another level. Explore a free demo HERE, and see how we deliver on our promises.